GOING NATIVE (MS-Word version, 90 KB)
Advice and resources for planting California natives.
Where to purchase native plants:
- General advice:
- Look for natives already thriving on your property, in your neighborhood,
or in nearby greenbelts. (Be wary of assuming that frequently-used plants
or those growing in undeveloped areas are native - many abundant plants are
actually exotics; some of these have naturalized and become invasive.)
- Respect each plant species' cultural needs: soil type & the amount of sun &
- The enemy: Invasive weeds. See
Invasive Weeds of Humboldt County booklet. Other useful references:
Invasive Plants of California's Wildlands and Northwest Weeds
(both available at the Humboldt County Library).
- Where to see landscaping with natives
- Arcata Plaza, SW corner (near post office). North Coast Chapter CNPS has a bed that changes
with the volunteers that tend it.
- Trinidad Museum Garden, 400 Janis Court at Patricks Point Drive, Trinidad. 707-677-3883.
- Humboldt Redwoods State Park visitors center, 707-946-2409.
- The Blood Bank, 2524 Harrison (corner of St. Joseph Lane), Eureka.
- Patrick's Point State Park, near the Sumeg Village. 4150 Patrick's Point Drive.,
Trinidad. Overgrown, but still there.
- Potawot Health Village(outside the United Indian Health Services bldg),
1600 Weott Way, off Janes Road, Arcata, just north of Mad River Hospital.
- Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge visitors center, Loleta. 707-733-5406.
- California Conservation Corps offices, 1500 Alamar Way, Fortuna.
- Humboldt Botanical Garden, at the north end of the College of the Redwoods Campus,
7351 Tompkins Hill Road, Eureka. Call for hours: 707-442-5139
- HSU Behavioral Sciences building, Arcata. Access from Union St.
- Arcata Marsh visitor's center, 569 S. G St., Arcata. 707-826-2359
- HSU Natural History Museum, 1315 G St., Arcata. Small garden plots in front.
- HSU Campus Center for Appropriate Technology (CCAT),
Arcata, behind the parking lot at 14th and Union Streets. 707-826-3551.
- Where to learn about native plants:
- College of the Redwoods courses
- Plant Materials and Usage (AG 16, spring) & Plant Materials and Usage (AG 26, fall). Both
courses include natives, taught by Donna Wildearth.
- Wildflowers, Trees and Shrubs (Bio 17, spring) taught by Jeff Hogue.
- CNPS plant sales, walks, field trips, garden tours, monthly programs (fall-spring),
and our Spring Wildflower Show. Look for listings in local newspapers or on our website.
Landscape designers who work with natives: Some also
- North Coast Chapter of California Native Plant Society: plant sales
in May and Sept., or make requests through our Plant Sale Chairs,
Chris Beresford, thegang7pacbell.com, 707-826-0259;
or Tami Camper, tcampergmail.com).
- Humboldt Fish Action Council nursery, 1280 Hatchery Rd, Blue Lake.
Manager: Suzanne Isaacs 707-498-2123 or Kathy Dilly 707-407-8733. Natives only, great variety.
Call for hours or an appointment.
- Freshwater Farms, 5851 Myrtle Ave. 707-444-8261. Mon-Sat. Strictly California natives,
great variety. infofreshwaterfarms.com,
- Living Earth Landscapes, 5307 Boyd Rd., Arcata. 707-822-7663.
- Samara Restoration. Eric Johnson, Dowes Prairie Rd., McKinleyville 707-834-4379.
- Jameson Creek Nursery, Fortuna. Local Farmer's Markets or call 707-725-5084.
- Potato Rock Nursery, Arcata Farmer's Market or mail order. 707-839-9175,
- Telos Rare Bulbs, Ferndale. Native and exotic bulbs. Mail order only.
- Larner Seeds, Bolinas, CA. Mail order. website
- Local Nurseries that carry mostly non-native plants, but have a small section of native plants (keep asking!).
- Miller Farms Nursery, 1828 Central Ave., McKinleyville. 707-839-1571.
- Mad River Gardens, 3384 Janes Rd. Arcata 707-822-7049.
- Pierson's Garden Shop & Nursery, 4100 Broadway, Eureka. 707-441-2713.
GreenEarth Landscapes, Kathy Dilley. 707-407-8733
Living Earth Landscapes, Keith Hamm, 707-822-7663
Samara Restoration, Eric Johnson, 834-4379
Nancy Rehg Landscape Design, 707-822-8542
Design-Work, Mary Gearhart. 707-826-7292
Printed and website resources
- Garden Visions Landscape Design, Donna Wildearth. 707-476-0273 (Eureka)
- Lists of plants suited to the North Coast, and related website links are
available on this web site.
- List of books that address gardening with and identifying natives (pending)